News > Our Achievements: The Final Report on the Implementation of the Iranian National "High Blood Pressure Control" Campaign in Zahedan University of Medical Sciences
Report from: ZAUMS Non-Communicable Diseases Control Department
Published on: 16 July 2019
From May to July 2019, the Iranian society witnessed the nation"s biggest blood pressure screening campaign, launched by the Iranian Ministry of Health and Medical Education, with the theme of: "High Blood Pressure, Know & Act".
Our tireless campaigners went all out to raise awareness on the risks of uncontrolled high blood pressure and embarked on screening blood pressure in the target population. In this campaign fixed and mobile blood pressure check stations were set up in different locations by Zahedan University of Medical Sciences.
The information on the free blood pressure checks stations are as it follows:
The number of blood pressure check stations: 126
The number of screen teams: 707
The number of fixed teams: 125
The number of Rural Health Workers (Behvarzes): 502
The number of Urban Health Care Workers: 571
The number of Medical Doctors: 210
The number of Health houses: 261
The number of Urban Health Centers: 28
The number of Urban / Rural Health Center: 62
The number of Urban Health Centers: 81
The number of RuralHealth Posts: 8
The number of Public & Social Security Hospitals: 19
The number of Pharmacy stations: 18
The number of Emergency stations: 6
The number of stationsset up by charity organizations: 14
The number of stations set up by occupational health Workers & Private doctors" offices: 19
The numbers of stations run by Vice Chancellery for Health: 50
The Iranian National "High Blood Pressure Control" Campaign brought together institutes and organizations and professional bodies to raise awareness and share experiences of preventing high blood pressure consequences. Some of partner organizations and institutes included: The School of Nursing and Midwifery, The School of Medicine, The School of Public Health, Vice Chancellery for Social Affairs, members of medical society, Red Crescent Society, Medical Emergencies Operation Center, Vice Chancellery for Food and Drug, Vice Chancellery for Research & Technology, Vice Chancellery for Education and Drug and provincial I.R.I.B office.
In this campaign out of 4124878 people 30 years and older who were living in the areas covered by Zahedan University of Medical Sciences, a total of 31,9478 people (77%) had their blood pressure checked, and the coverage of screening was 27% higher than the target of figure of 50% set by Iranian Ministry of Health. Overall, 31% (26204 people) of the recently screened population had high blood pressure readings.
Figure 1- The number of people 30 years and olders and pregnant women screened for high blood pressure before and after the Iranian High Blood Pressure Control Campaign, Zahedan University of Medical Sceinces, 2019
As a result of the implementation of the campaign, the percentage of registered patients with high blood pressure who did not received care during the past month decreased from 48% to 17%.
Figure 2- The proportion of the people 30 years and older screened for high blood pressure and the percentage of expected high BP cases identified during the Iraninan National High Blood Pressure Control Campaign, Zahedan University of Medical Sciences, 2019
Some of other achievements of the campaign included:
- We have drawn attention of and support from Friday Prayers Imams from both Sunnis and Shiites religious leaders to blood pressure screening campaign.
- We managed to set up blood pressure screening stations in mosques and encouraging people to take part in the campaign.
- We were instrumental in carrying out high blood pressure screening for people living in the remote and hard to reach areas. This included blood pressure screening at home of 53 disabled patients living in rural areas by healthcare providers.
- We coordinated the participation of more than 470 Community Health Volunteers in the campaign.
- We recruited more than 340 nurses and medical emergency technicians to take part in the blood pressure screening activities.
- We implemented door-to-door blood pressure screening by mobile screening teams in Khash and Sib Suran districts.
- We identified cases with extremely high uncontrolled blood pressure readings, which were not aware of their condition. (For example, a patient with blood pressure of 250/120 was urgently referred to the Khash hospital, and a 62-year-old patient with high blood pressure (210/110) was immediately dispatched to hospital.
In a closing ceremony that was held on July 15, 2019, Zahedan University of Medical Sciences celebrated the best campaigners–from healthcare workers, public health authorities, community health volunteers, and people working in large organizations. They received awards for their significant contributions to the campaign.
Copyright © 2019 Zahedan University of Medical Sciences. All rights reserved. Date updated: 16/07/2019.
Should you have any queries please do not hesitate to contact us on: firstname.lastname@example.org
|Date : 16/07/2019 13:42
Viewed : 383